Admissions and Planning

We are pleased that you are interested in the master’s in Interdisciplinary Studies at UNT. The steps below will help you plan and guide you through the admissions process.

Contact the Interdisciplinary Studies Academic Counselor

As you begin evaluating what the Master of Science or the Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies could do for you, it is very important that you communicate with the program academic counselor. There are general and program specific admission requirements. The academic counselor will answer your specific questions about the Interdisciplinary Studies program and will serve as a constant point of reference for you regarding program requirements.

If you seek to retool or strengthen your credentials for your career, be sure to discuss with your academic counselor how the Interdisciplinary Studies program may help you reach your goals. While the Interdisciplinary Studies master’s degree is often an excellent means for advancement, it may not be the best choice for your specific situation. For example, if your goal is to teach university-level history and you currently hold a Bachelor of Arts in General Studies, a self-styled degree in Interdisciplinary Studies may be too broad to prepare you appropriately for the competitive market of academia. Your success is our highest priority, and we will help you consider all of your options. For questions or an appointment with the Interdisciplinary Studies Academic Counselor, please contact Jasmine Quezada at or 940-565-4787.

Begin seeking collaborating professors

In addition to your academic counselor, you will seek out one faculty member from one of your concentrations who will approve your coursework and sign your degree plan. It may be easier to approach a faculty member from one of your concentrations if you present them with a draft copy of a proposed degree plan. Your academic counselor can make sure that your proposal fits the general guidelines of the degree before you show the draft plan to faculty.

Begin drafting your degree plan

In order to make the most of your time and economic resources, you should begin filling out your degree plan with the help of your academic counselor from the very beginning. You are not required to submit your plan until you have completed 9 hours of graduate credit, but no coursework is guaranteed to count toward completion of the degree until you have an approved degree plan filed with the Graduate School.

Your academic counselor will provide you with a degree plan form, or you may be asked to use the template found under Resources. You may want to familiarize yourself now with our general areas of academic study by browsing our list of degree programs on the Toulouse Graduate School website.

Generally, the Interdisciplinary Studies degree plan includes 2 concentrations plus 6 hours of Interdisciplinary Studies as the third concentration. The primary concentration consisting of 12-18 hours and the other 2 concentrations with at least 6 hours of credit in each field. No more than 18 hours (including thesis hours or "special problems" courses) may be taken under any one academic area. A total of 30 graduate credit hours are required for graduation. Knowledge of a second language or "language tool" is required for the Master of Arts degree, but not for the Master of Science. This language proficiency can be proven by examination or with two years of college-level courses on your transcripts.

As you choose courses from the UNT Graduate Catalog to include on your degree plan, be sure that you seek advice from your academic counselor. Take special care when considering courses that list prerequisites, and note that some courses or areas of study require faculty or departmental approval (e.g. applied music and art, psychology, history, etc.). While you may take undergraduate courses (e.g. prerequisites), only graduate-level classes (5000-level courses or above) count toward a master’s degree. Given that any courses listed on this master's degree plan cannot count toward a doctoral degree plan at UNT, we strongly recommend that you list no more than the required 30 credit hours on your Interdisciplinary Studies plan. Any additional classes you take will, of course, still appear on your transcript.

Students changing majors to Interdisciplinary Studies with 9 graduate credit hours or more completed must submit to the Toulouse Graduate School an approved and signed degree plan before enrolling in courses as an Interdisciplinary Studies student.

Prepare a statement of purpose

Write a statement of purpose that you will submit to your Interdisciplinary Studies coordinator. This statement should succinctly state why you would like to blend together coursework from more than one academic area to achieve your academic and/or career goals. You should also include your anticipated learning outcomes, i.e. what you expect to have learned by the end of the program. Be specific, but also concise. You will find a template for this document under Resources.

Apply to the Toulouse Graduate School

You must submit the following to the Toulouse Graduate School:

  • A completed on-line Graduate School application
  • A non-refundable $75 application fee
  • Complete official transcripts from all colleges attended
  • Minimum 3.0 GPA (cumulative or last 60 hours)
  • International students will have additional requirements.

To begin your application or to receive more information on the items above see:

When filling out the on-line application, you should select “Interdisciplinary Studies” as your major. Existing concentrations are listed as sub-plans. Self-styled degree applicants should leave the sub-plan blank.

Applicants who have already applied to one of our degree programs and would like to update their existing application to Interdisciplinary Studies should fill out the on-line update-request form.

Current students who would like to change their major to Interdisciplinary Studies should fill out the change-of-major form and submit it to the Toulouse Graduate School.

For International Students Only: Copies of UNT transcripts do not need to be sent to the Toulouse Graduate School. The Graduate School is able to temporarily process applications with unofficial documents from some universities outside of the United States. Call or send an email to the Graduate School for more information if this could benefit you. However, official transcripts will be required prior to the beginning of the semester. 

Submit Your Required Supplemental Documents

**Must be uploaded**

  • Upload your statement of purpose and resume to the MyUNT portal
  • Two letters of recommendation can be emailed directly by the recommenders to

Enroll in classes

If admitted to the Interdisciplinary Studies program, your academic counselor will work with you on class registration. Be sure that you have received the academic advising you need. You may need to get approval codes for certain classes from the course instructors or other representatives of the departments in which you are taking courses each semester. If a course has prerequisites, do not register for that course unless you meet those prerequisites.

UCRS classes are interdisciplinary in nature and are among the courses available to Interdisciplinary Studies students. While 6000 level, doctoral courses are sometimes available to master’s students, remember that any courses you choose to list on your master’s degree plan will not count toward an eventual doctoral degree, if you choose to continue your education at UNT. You are free to take undergraduate courses, but only graduate-level classes (5000-level courses or above) count toward a master’s degree.

Submit your degree plan

After the first 9 graduate credit hours are complete, talk to your academic counselor about your degree plan. Your academic counselor will provide you with a degree plan form, or you may be asked to use the template found under Resources

The degree plan must include no fewer than 3 separate fields of study with at least 6 hours of credit in each field. No more than 18 hours (including thesis and special problems courses) may be taken under any one course prefix or subject field. No more than 12 hours may be drawn from courses offered by the College of Business or the Department of Counseling respectively. For more information about graduation requirements, please see Resources.

Knowledge of a second language or an acceptable language equivalent is required for the Master of Arts degree, but not for the Master of Science. You must name the language or “language tool” equivalent on the MA degree plan form and indicate when you satisfied that language requirement, e.g. the semester when you completed 12 credit hours of a language.

For other questions about admissions or planning, please contact the general Interdisciplinary Studies academic counselor at